This story concerns my sister Jean who at the time of this event was 12 years old.
She was, as usual, helping my mother prepare for a midday meal. Everything was
going well, the joint of meat was in the gas oven and slowly cooking on a low to
medium heat. Vegetables were now being prepared in the large kitchen sink by the
window in the corner by my mother. Everything was going well, there was time to set
the table and arrange the chairs in the dining room. The table set, it was time to
revisit the kitchen and see how things were going. Automatically, Jean's thoughts
were to check on the oven and this she did. But something was wrong. Jean peered
into the opening in the bottom of the oven to see if the flame was alright. As she did,
realising something was wrong. To her amazement the flame had gone out. Jean
immediately called out for mother and said 'the flames gone out!'. In normal
circumstances we would have thought that the gas had expired and gone out
because another penny was needed in the meter, which was located under the
stairs. To Jean's exclamation the 'the gas has gone out' my mother’s reply was
simply 'well, light it up again'. It was common knowledge that when someone opened
the front door and the back door of the kitchen was open, the draught created could
easily put out the flame of the oven. That's what had happened. So when Jean
struck the match consequently an almighty bang blew off the door of the oven. The
mini explosion threw out the contents all over the floor. What a mess! As you can
imagine, how Jean managed to escape being hit by the oven door I just don't know.
Thankfully no one was hurt and Jean learned an important lesson that day. Never re-
light the oven straight away.