7135
views

Newcastle through the Camera Lens

Duration: 1:21 minutes
Accession No: TWCMS : 2009.516
This story has been viewed 7135 times

Summary
Sue's story is about Newcastle and discovering it through photography.

By Sue Slator

Sign up to the Culture Shock podcast

Find us on Facebook Follow us on twitter

You need Adobe Flash installed to watch this movie.
Get Adobe Flash

Video transcript

Travelling to Newcastle via Metro, cross the Metro bridge, first sight of the town is the Tyne bridge. My first thought is ‘I’m home’. Even though I’ve lived here all my life when I’m here I always find a side street while I’m there that I haven’t seen before or looks different because of the season or the lighting.

Through photography I have rediscovered Newcastle, the character and the quirkiness of this town. Walking from the Monument Metro station coming through Monument Mall, a modern shopping centre which blends in well with the older architecture of Newcastle. Coming out into Northumberland Street where the place comes to life with street entertainment. Northumberland Street is full of the hustle and bustle of people shopping. Moving down the side streets from Northumberland Street you can discover the culture of Newcastle. I personally like going to the exhibitions at the Laing Art Gallery and visiting the Hancock Museum for the art and artefacts. I personally love the character of the people of Newcastle for their warn outlook, welcoming attitude and sense of humour that echoes from St James to the Quayside of Newcastle. I end my day in town enjoying a warm cup of coffee in my favourite coffee shop.

Do you have more great airtlces like this one?Posted on 20/09/2011 at 09:59:40

Enlightening the world, one hepulfl article at a time.Posted on 22/09/2011 at 11:07:51

None can doubt the vraetciy of this article.Posted on 05/10/2012 at 02:08:34

I can already tell that's gonna be super heplufl.Posted on 05/10/2012 at 03:36:08

It's a joy to find soemnoe who can think like thatPosted on 05/10/2012 at 01:23:03

I am glad for writing to make you unrsdetand of the exceptional discovery our princess went through browsing your web site. She figured out numerous pieces, with the inclusion of what it is like to have an awesome helping mindset to have many people without hassle fully unrsdetand a number of grueling issues. You undoubtedly did more than our own expectations. Thanks for displaying such beneficial, dependable, educational and even cool guidance on that topic to Evelyn.Posted on 05/10/2012 at 08:25:59

Hi JossEnjoyed the read above, and the comment my mate Paul put on here :) As the lead dev for Hubbbie, and mlltipue other systems, there is a reason for the noreply mail addresses: many mail hosts, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, actually allow more mail through with SPF acknowledged DNS settings as well as, you guessed it, it being a noreply@ address. Reason? If a bounce back occurs to the noreply, the mail server actually know it shouldn't go through and automatically re-route it to the trash :)This is all to mitigate unneeded mail in inboxes, as one would want actual mail to come through, such as your example of a template getting messed up. That is why we have the support@ mail address. I actually haven't come across one user who didn't know that they should forward queries to support@ and not noreply@. And 99% of users know that if it is a noreply@ address, not to reply to it, as the name is pretty self-explanatory and its basically breeding a culture around e-mail system usage by having everyone join in and use this type of system.True, the hello@ and info@ etc etc mailboxes are useful for first contact, but who would reply to a e-mail saying that they just received a invite request? What would the content of their reply be firstly? If, for instance, your bank sends you a text message that you have withdrawn over a certain amount, would you want to reply to it? :)Posted on 07/10/2012 at 02:14:30

Hey Paul, thanks for comeintmng! I knew when I posted this you'd probably see it and either agree or get annoyed, or a bit of both, so apologies for that. It's really just a good example and the one that prompted me to write this in the first place (had the draft sitting around for ages!)I see your point about that use case for noreply, but let's remember that it's not up to us to decide when a user will feel like responding, and to what. What if they wanted to reply to your notification message to let you know the template is screwed up, or a variable didn't get expanded?eg. Hello < % firstname %> ! which I actually received in an email notification recently, from you guessed it a noreply email address.Posted on 07/10/2012 at 03:28:07

Artciels like this are an example of quick, helpful answers.Posted on 07/10/2012 at 04:22:46